Being so new to the diabetic world, I'm feeling overwhelmed and uninformed. Why does the internet have to be so damn conflicting? I go to one site and get info, only to go to another and have that info declared wrong. UGH Or when I try to get a simple answer, I have to read pages and pages of crap until I get the answer, only to not really have an answer. Double UGH
Last night, I decided that instead of waiting until 11pm to enjoy another sugary load of trail mix, I would have a small slice of sourdough bread at 9 pm. That can't hurt me, since it had been three hours since my dinner and the GI site said sourdough was better for reducing blood sugar. So before I did that, I also decided to test my levels, just to see what it was like before bed and the result was 98, my second lowest "normal" since Saturday. That's not even fasting! So I went to bed, after enjoying the small slice (well, more like the little heel) and confident I'd wake up with great numbers. I think I finally fell asleep around 10ish. Looking at my log, I've been waking up around 6:30 and testing my sugars within 15 minutes. This morning, I woke up at 5:45 and tested. Now I don't know if timing plays a part in anything but I'm hoping it doesn't have a big part. My level was 110.
So in my reading on the internet (good and bad), I read that we should test 1, 2 and 3 hours after eating a meal to help figure out if the meal is good or bad. Dr. H has only asked that I track my morning levels but since I tested last night, I figured I'd test after my shake. So I tested and holy hell why did I do that?! Level came back at 173. GULP So what did I eat? My standard breakfast shake from my nutrition plan from a few years back: 1 scoop Chocolate Whey Protein Powder, 1 cup unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries (1/2 the serving size on the bag), 1 tbsp Laura Scudder's Natural Peanut Butter and 1/4 cup Grapenuts cereal. I honestly thought this was a low carb, low sugar shake so what the freakin' fack? Fast forward passed the 2 hour test (due to physical therapy appointment) and I tested again at 10:11 for the 3 hour mark. Results were 115, ok so I wonder what would have happened at hour 2? And what does any of this mean? I think it said I should be under 140 at the 1 (or 2) hour and under 120 at the 3 so if that's the case, I'm ok with the last test range. But who knows. I just wanted to see if I could continue with the shake for breakfast, and I think I can, I'm just not sure.
My fingers are starting to hurt from the pricking. I probably should use more than one spot on the finger, or maybe even change fingers seeing as how I have 10 of them! My left ring finger is the lucky winner. Today, the fingertip is a lovely shade of purple and so very tender to the touch. Good thing I type with just a few fingers usually.
Oh and on top of the confusion with everything I am reading, the side effects of the metformin are starting to go away, well lessen is more like it, but now I've got a full case of menstrual cramps and a light flow.
1 comment:
Yes silly, rotate fingers!!!
Post a Comment