Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spreading the News

Finding out your pregnant is a whole separate roller coaster. It's been a great ride so far but I've got those little thoughts that pop up here and there. Sadly, sharing my news hasn't been the warm and cuddly experience I was expecting. Be forewarned - this is a LONG post.

Thursday, February 9: The first person I told was Dan, as he had just walked in the front door as I saw the faint line start to show. I ran to the door and said "I think we're having a baby!" He stepped back and said "whaat?" Little did I know he missed my announcement because he was blasting the Wicked soundtrack in his ears! He removed his earphones and I said it again. He had this wonderful look of surprise on his face, I wish I could have captured it on film!! He said "are you sure?" and I said "I'm pretty sure, wanna see the tests?" and then I giggled and ran into the bathroom. I showed him the three tests from Tuesday and Thursday, pointing out how there was no line on Tuesday but my temp was still high so I had to test. "Um," he pauses, "I think I see a faint line on this test from Tuesday." And he was right! So there we stood, in absolute shock that we are pregnant!!

As we were standing in the kitchen, I said "We can't tell anyone yet, it's way too early." and then I texted two of my closest and dearest, dare I call them BEST, friends and showed the tests. I have spent the last two years with these ladies, on their journeys to become mothers, even though I wasn't really. No one else understands the psychotic urge to POAS, temp, chart, share pics of tests like they do. I'm so glad to have them in my life and to share this experience with them. I also can't wait to be on the receiving end of a text from THEM!

Oh, did I mention that I also told my faraway friends? Yep, I posted the pic first thing for them. So now, I've gone from "we tell no one" to telling six people in a matter of seconds! LMAO I'm also a freaking mess and not able to focus on getting ready for work - making me just about an hour late but oh well, this is HUGE!! lol

I cried a little bit on my drive to work. Then I laughed. I think I sprinted up the stairs to my office. My manager at work knew something was up when she walked to my desk, just by looking at the stupid grin I had on my face! I didn't tell her, she just KNEW! Then I texted my baby sister, who we've both decided will be our nanny when I go back to work! So now we're at eight and I'm ready to yell it to everyone. But I dare not, since it's super duper early.

Friday, Dan wanted me to tell my parents and I said no I wanted to wait until we had the confirmation from the doctor's office. I mean HELLO we're like just two weeks along (no matter what the doc says, I will never say that I am further along based on my LMP that's just insane!) Saturday afternoon, his parents called to invite us to Sunday dinner. He advised me he's telling them and said I really should tell my parents. Again, I said I really don't want to until it's a little further. I mean, shit why would I want to tell everyone and then have something bad happen?! He said I just have to believe and realize it's happening right now so why not share it? He actually made some pretty good sense.

I called my parents and told them. Not at all how I'd planned on doing it. I wanted to do it in a person, like with a Valentine's Day card addressed to Grandpa. They are excited! I'm sure they basically wrote off the fact they would never have grandchildren. In fact, they even said that! Which is hilarious to me because earlier Saturday, Dan had said he was sure our parents had given up on us having children. Little did they know ... Of course my parents are concerned with my health and having diabetes but they are still excited. Something they have been waiting for a super long time! But I can't honestly say I felt are warm and cuddly. "Promise me you'll take care of yourself" was said a lot. Along with "wow". Maybe it's the shock but I just didn't feel it.

Tonight, we told Dan's parents. Well, he told them. Over dinner. At Carrow's Restaurant. Well, before our meal actually came. His mom was ECSTATIC! She started crying and said she was so happy and had been waiting for so long for this announcement. She couldn't stop smiling!! His dad, well that's another story. I don't know if it was because we had said it was still super early and we're not telling anyone but he said we need to not get too excited. Wow. Thanks? Sure it's early and we could have our hopes crushed but let's not think about that, mkay? I love my in-laws, I really do, but there is such a big gap between them and my parents (about 15 years) and they are definitely from a different generation. My MIL doesn't want me to fly to Kansas this week - sorry, I'm going and I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen except some serious motion sickness and maybe the urge to vomit if I'm close enough to smell the bathroom GROSS - and she was not happy that I'll be going back to work after the baby. Lady, believe me I don't want to but I have no choice really. My insurance kicks ass and living in California doesn't nake it easy for one income. She's very excited though! Said this is the happiest she has been in a long time. Also begged me to include them in our child's life - of course I will! Just call first ;)

Side note: This will be the first grandchild for my parents, the eighth for his parents. WOW

I am pretty tired, not ready to tell anyone else. I've given Dan the go ahead ... Oh he just informed me he's told a couple people at work HAHAHA ... to tell his buds and his siblings. I think it should come from him, not me. I also can't help but think that by opening this up to so many that we might jinx it. Which is why I made my blog private, for now. I won't be posting anything to facebook for a very long time ... HAHA well as we all know my long times are usually someone else's hour or so ... But seriously.

And that is the story of how we told our parents.

No comments: