Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

You're grounded!

Yes, baby YOU are grounded FOR LIFE.

TMI alert

Today, I had one of the worst scares of my entire 34, almost 35, years.  I was at work, minding my own business in a meeting when all of a sudden I felt a bubble down there.  Thought nothing of it until a few seconds later and I felt another one.  I got up to leave the meeting table and felt a gush.  I hobbled down the hall to my office, opened the door, lifted my pants leg and there was blood on my leg!!

My manager drove me to the ER.  I called Dan and told him to meet us at St John's Pleasant Valley, since I work in Camarillo.  I called Dr. Cole's office and of course since it was noon the office was closed.  I pressed one for a medical emergency and got the exchange. Told the girl that I am 10 1/2 weeks pregnant and out of nowhere, started to gush blood!!  She took my name, birthdate and phone number and put me on hold.  Next thing I know I've got Dr. Cole on the phone - this doc ROCKS! - and he says to go to his office.  I tell him I'm not in Ventura but in Camarillo on my way to the ER and he tells me to go to St John's Oxnard because he is there for a C-Section.  Tells me to go in and tell them I'm bleeding and need an ultrasound.  I tell Dana to change direction and her little Beetle takes us through the back streets of Camarillo (ok, just Ponderosa to the 101 but still!) and I called Dan to tell him to change direction.

We got to the ER and I stood there in the entry way bleeding.  I "checked in" with the security guard and he told me to sit down.  I'm sorry but I can barely walk and I really don't want to sit down, especially since the pressure of getting up makes me bleed more.  I moved a few feet and felt another gush and then just started bawling.  The only thought in my mind was that I was losing my baby, this sweet baby that I had just seen and heard on Monday.  I couldn't control myself.  Good thing I'm hysterical LOL  As I was standing there, a couple were checking into the ER and when they walked by, the elderly woman stopped and did the sign of the cross over me.  That made me bawl even more.  A few people in the waiting room were asking why I wasn't being seen and if there was a chair for me.  The next thing I know, the security guard is taking me back through the doors and to an exam room.  A few minutes later and Dan was by my side so Dana went back to work since I was in good hands.  She's a life saver!!  I sat on the "bed" for 40 minutes with bloody pants and blood down my legs.  I will never understand the delay in getting care!!  I was getting pissed that no one was coming to check on me, I'm sitting here gushing blood for Pete's sake!  Dan was pretty sure the staff figured we'd lost the baby so there was no rush.  I kept saying that if they took any longer we probably WOULD lose the baby.  That was not what I wanted.  I was glad when the nurse finally came so I could get undressed but the attention and care was lacking.  Never got a blanket, wasn't given anything to clean up.  I just sat there.

To spare the gore, I'll make this short and sweet - I'm sure you're already grossed out. 

Dr. Cole came to see me at 1:25 and was beyond irritated to find that I'd been there for an hour and had not been examined.  The ER doc had just come in to introduce himself and left when Dr. Cole came in.  Dr. Cole called for a nurse and within seconds I was being prepped for an exam.  He asked me what happened and I explained it all.  No cramping, no sex, no lifting heavy items.  Nothing to clue me into what I thought was another miscarriage.  Well, apparently he removed a lot of clots and once he was done, so was the bleeding.  He said he was going to have blood tests done and a stat ultrasound.  His goal was to find a heartbeat and a viable pregnancy.  God, I love this man!

Another 30 minutes later, Dan had gone home to gather some clean clothes for me, I've had blood drawn, registered for the ER and just as Dan returned the ultrasound tech came to get me.  I have to say I was pretty positive the news would be dismal.  Today is 10 weeks and 3 days.  Same time Baby A stopped growing.  That's all I could think about.  Dan was so confused, how can we hear a beautiful heartbeat and then have it stop?  So many questions, tears.

I just have to say that the St John's ultrasound tech ROCKS!  Not only did she calm my nerves by talking positively about the pregnancy, she SHOWED me my baby - ALIVE.  Still there, just chilling.  I never wanted to cry so hard in my life.  There s/he was, legs crossed at the ankle with a hand by the face.  Totally laid back, like nothing had just happened.  You little twerp! LOLOLOLOL  I saw lots of images and then Dan came in and we just got to watch the baby float around and hang.  Heartbeat averaged 168-174.  Thank you God!

Waited another 90 minutes to get released.  During this time, I got the report from the ultrasound.  Apparently my ovaries are mildly enlarged and there was a 1.8cm cyst on my right ovary.  Also something on my uterus, possibly a fibroid.  Not sure what any of that means, other than this baby is still here and I'm ok!  I'm thinking maybe a cyst ruptured but will I ever really know? Probably not.  I'm taking the weekend off, modified bed rest.  Doc just said "pelvic rest and take it easy".  They all loved to say "no sex" even the discharge nurse got a chuckle out of that.  Yeah, well after the day I've had I'm pretty sure sex is the last thing on my mind.

Dan's grounded the baby.  It's hilariously cute.  Poor guy, we thought the worst but this baby proved us wrong.  All I know is we are in for a world of chaos with this one!

1 comment: