Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Failing as a mother?

I am in the middle of a very emotional breakdown so pardon the craziness that will be this post.

Today at 2 pm we met with Dr. C and when he came into the exam room he said that he had talked to Dr. A.  He then asked me how I felt, as he was reading through my chart and the notes.  I said I was concerned because of what they had said and didn't give me any feedback on how to make him grow.  He continued reading and then asked me what I meant.  I told him that they said the baby only gained 3 ounces but nothing else was said except that we might look into 38 weeks instead of 39.  Dr. C said that was what Dr. A told him.  He did find E's heartbeat and it sounded beautiful.  He measured the belly and I guess it's ok, he didn't say anything.  He did ask me how I felt about the baby's movements and I said I haven't been feeling him as much.  So with that he called the hospital and asked to send me over right away for a NST.  I heard him on the phone and his words were "she's a class b diabetic with IUGR" and blah blah blah.  IUGR is intrauterine growth restriction and if you Google it, you get a lot of bad news :(  Apparently some moms have lost babies in utero or shortly after birth.  But then there are some moms that have had small babies that are perfectly healthy.  I hate that I can't know for sure what is going on with our little man.

Honestly, right now I feel like a huge failure.  I feel like if I would have taken my diabetes diagnosis serious and really fought to get healthy, I wouldn't have this issue right now.  I feel like I've failed not only myself and D but now our sweet innocent little boy.

Losing a baby at 10 weeks was hard.  I can't even imagine, nor do I even want to but can't help it!, what it would be like to carry him all this way, only to have it end tragically.

My biggest fear is that I will not have my baby to bring home.  I can't help but think of the what ifs and all the negatives.  I want so desperately to push it all of my head, especially since the doctors have not shown me any indication that the baby is in grave danger.  If he was, I wouldn't be sitting in my recliner at 10:40 pm writing this blog.  I'd be in the hospital, either being monitored or having this baby.  Silver lining?

My heart hurts.  I feel like I don't deserve to be a mom since I obviously couldn't bring him into this world safely.

1 comment:

Randi said...

Hey, listen. Don't be so hard on yourself! You can't change the past or predict the future so just enjoy the now. Stress isn't good for you or the baby. xoxooxoxoxoxoxo