Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Freaked Out

Today I met with a fetal cardiologist and had an echo of the baby's heart.  He's always been in a funky position so ultrasounds have usually been difficult but they can see something.  Except his heart.  At 20 and 24 weeks, both techs said they couldn't see what they needed.  At 28 weeks the tech was able to see more than before.  Today, the doctor said the heart is fully formed and looks great, with the exception of the thickness of the tissue.  She said that at this stage, it should be measuring 35 and it's measuring 53.  I have no idea what this means!  I asked her and she said that it's moderate to severe, with a possibility of the baby not surviving.

Then she proceeds to tell me that my diabetes would be better controlled with diet and exercise - which of course I know but haven't really been following through.  I guess I have been using the insulin as a reason to eat whatever.  She said that the insulin masks the blood sugar spikes and diet and exercise were 100% better.  She said I have 8 weeks to make a change but didn't say how well it will be.  UGH

She sent me on my way with this "the heart looks good so you won't have to see me again.  Happy New Year and I wish you a healthy labor and delivery"

I have googled fetal heart tissue thickness and diabetes but of course I have no idea what any of this medical jargon means!  I meet with my high risk doctor next Wednesday and I'm sure we'll go over the report then.  Until then, I will be on a strict diet - high protein, low carb - and exercise - 20 minutes of walking after every meal - and hope for the best!

1 comment:

Randi said...

take care of yourself and that baby of yours xoxo